6 Easy Children’s Dental Hygiene Tips for the Busy Parent from our Tacoma dentist
During National Children’s Dental Health Month, Dr. Giesy in Tacoma is sponsoring an entire 28 days of fun activities and parent-savvy tips to promote a better future for your sons and daughters.
As you’ve read in the past couple of weeks, our responsibility as parents is to instill a good dental hygiene routine in our little ones from an early age.
“Oral health is an important part of a child’s overall health and well-being – but it is sometimes overlooked in the early years.”
– Dr. Edward H. Moody, AAPD president and practicing pediatric dentist
But why start young?
When brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups are a part of a child’s normal routine with mommy or daddy, fits and tantrums are prevented from becoming a regular morning or bedtime hassle. You’re welcome, parents!
Also, proper care of baby teeth will prevent cavities that could spread to other teeth, causing early decay, speech defects, premature tooth loss, and crooked or weak adult teeth. All of these factors lead to an unattractive and unhealthy smile that could rob your children of self-confidence and cause serious health complications in their youth and adult life.
We’d never want to let our children head down that path! That’s why we’ve compiled a list of six easy tips for all you busy parents and educators reading our blog.
How-to Tips for Busy Parents from our Tacoma Dentist
When Your Child is Teething:
1. Gently wipe the gum and tooth surface with a damp cloth to remove bacteria at least twice a day after nursing.
2. Gently massage surrounding gum area with a clean finger.
3. Use chilled (not frozen) teething toys to soothe anxiety.
When Brushing & Flossing:
4. Set the example early. Brush with your baby in arms, or have them sit and watch you brush and floss.
5. Set the routine. When his or her first teeth come out, have your child brush and floss with you in the morning and at bedtime.
6. Sing songs together! Sing along with these two videos to make brushing and flossing an activity that your little ones look forward to in the morning and at bedtime:
“This is the way we brush our teeth”
“Sesame Street – Motivational Brushing Song”
Start right now!
1. Call Giesy Family and Implant Dentistry to create a dental “home away from home” where your child will be comfortable and given special attention. We’ll give the care needed to ensure your little one keeps his or her smile healthy, joyful, and full of life!
2. Cultivate in your child healthy oral habits by applying the suggestions above. It’s never too early to start!
3. Download our free printable Tooth Fairy Certificate to reinforce a good dental hygiene routine with a reward system for healthy lost teeth. Feature it in your child’s bedroom and go out to celebrate with some ice cream!
Remember, cultivating a good dental hygiene at an early age will give your child a healthy smile and the self-esteem to secure his or her proper development throughout all aspects of life.
Did we mention that February 28th is National Tooth Fairy Day? Call your Tacoma dentist, Dr. Giesy at (253) 752-6630 to schedule your child’s visit with Dr. Giesy right away and we’ll make the dental visit a fun adventure to the “Tooth Fairy’s Office!”